Sunday, May 15, 2011

Does Distributism Hold Up to Rerum novarum and Quadragesimo anno?


Share/Bookmark
Commemorating the 120th Anniversary of Pope Leo XIII's Rerum novarum.
And the 80th Anniversary of Pope Pius XI's Quadragesimo anno.

Reading Suggestions:

- Just to get you into the debate: read the post, "Why are Distributist Leaders Misleading their Aduience about Capitalism?," by Patrick Odou (in TraditionInAction.org).*

- Have you ever studied these two encyclicals?  If you haven't, can you think of a better time to do so than now?!  I would recommend you read Quadragesimo anno first, then Rerum novarum.  Reading them in this order might help you avoid some misunderstandings about the latter.

- An excellent summary of traditional Catholic social doctrine is Ryan and Boland's The Principles of Catholic Politics, available on pdf from ITOPL.

* N.B.: I should not have to point out--but a number of complaints force me to do so--that I do not subscribe to everything that is affirmed (and especially the way in which it is affirmed) in TraditionInAction.org.  My approach to issues is a bit more careful and reserved.  Nonetheless, I am able to discern some very incisive and interesting points in some of its posts, and I find that much of what they write resonates especially well with a thoroughly traditional Catholic way of looking at things.  I particularly benefitted from this article.

Post a Comment